Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reduce Stress by Baking Bread

Sunday morning, when I woke up, my thoughts went instantly to work.  All I could think about was my to-do list and all of the meetings I had scheduled throughout the week.  My heart rate increased rapidly and my head hurt; all this before my feet hit the floor.  And Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest in our house!

When I get like this I have trouble "shutting my mind off"as my husband would say.  I have to find a task that will challenge me and keep me occupied.  Now, I know most of you are thinking, but it's just bread.  Here is the thing, I inherited an inability to bake bread from my mother.  She will tell you that most of her bread never rises and often is so dense that you could use it as a door stop.

So today I set myself up for a challenge.  I made three different recipes today.  I started with a challah recipe I have been working on.  I mixed the starter (yeast, sugar, warm water and a bit of flour).  Then, because of the length of time involved in allowing it to foam up, I moved onto a banana bourbon bread with pecans and chocolate.  I wish I could say that this one was mine, but it is not below is the link to the recipe.  I love sweet breads.  You can have your dessert for breakfast with them!  I combined all of the ingredients and new instantly I had found a winner.  It had the slight aroma of a bananas foster.  


With the banana bread in the oven, it was time to mix my challah starter with some more flour.  I gradually folded and folded until not only the flour was incorporated, but my thoughts were finally in a more relaxed setting.   I placed the dough in a warm location and this is when I pray.  There is just something magical about bread dough rising and when it happens correctly I feel like I have won the war.

With the challah bread rising, I set to the task of making some corn bread.  I love making corn bread.  It is so diverse as you can make it sweet or savory.  Corn bread can also come in many forms, little squares, muffins, bread slices....plus the way you can cook it.  I know some who almost fry the dough in a cast iron skillet before baking it.  Others swear by their stone ware.  I have finally figured out my process for a sweet moist corn bread that is to die for.  The recipe can be found in "My Cravings Satisfied". 


With two breads in the oven and one rising, by thoughts began to stray.  I quickly decided that with good bread comes soup or stew.  Today, being 32 degrees (yes it is April) I decided on chili to go with the corn bread.

As I set the chili to simmer, and took the breads out of the oven, it was time to go to work on the challah.  I love braiding bread:)  It just makes my day.  Once the challah was braided  and set to rise again (told you it was a long process) we decided to go on an afternoon outing.  Bowling with friends is always a great distraction and I needed one.  So with bread rising or cooling and the chili complete we headed off with our friends the Mose's.  Check out their kiddos first time bowling in "Take a Picture it Lasts Longer".

When we arrived home, the challah was ready for the oven.  It had risen beautifully and I could not wait to taste it.  Let me tell you, nothing beats the aroma of baking bread in a house.  This recipe is not quite ready to share yet, but as soon as it is I will let you know.


With all of the bread done and dinner in our bellies, I realized how successful I felt and relaxed.  Baking bread helped me reduce stress and prepare myself for the busy week ahead.  After all someone has to eat all of the bread I baked so that will at least make my staff happy:)

Have a great week and hopefully I can find time to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment